The Host to be a movie

by on September 23, 2009
in Books, Movie, Stephenie Meyer

1bs

Stephenie Meyer has posted the following information on her official website:

I’m so excited to be working with Nick Weschler, and Steve and Paula Mae Schwartz to bring The Host to a visual format. They’ve all been a dream to work with, so lovely and collaborative, and I feel like we’re in a really good place to make a great movie together. And then to have Andrew Niccol writing and directing? Truly awesome. If you’ve never seen Gattaca, go watch it now. One of my favorite movies of all time. It’s such a great example of character driven science fiction, which is ideal for The Host, no? I’m having an absolute blast imagining different dream casts, which I would post if people didn’t take my silly blogs so seriously these days. I’m looking forward to seeing the cast lists you come up with in the fansite forums, and if any of them match mine.

So, very exciting. Yay Host!

XO
Steph

Are you excited?

Variety also has an article about it which you can read here.

Thanks to everyone who emailed!

Comments

1. Marit says:

Omg thats so so awesome! I think that “The Host” movie is going to be great. I loved “The Host” book.

Yay 1st comment! 🙂

2. Gemma Cullen says:

OMG OMG OMG! I LOVE THE HOST AND NOW IT’S GOING TO BE A MOVIE! ahhhh this is awesome news. 😀 SO HAPPY!

3. Siret says:

OME, OME, OME!!! Thats great news, The Host is amazing book, love it and now its going to be movie!! WOOHOOO!!! Can’t wait to hear more news about it!

4. TIFFANY says:

sweet! when i was reading the host i thought it would make a great movie, but wasnt sure if stephani waould want to go down that road again…im so gald she is!!!

5. AdriiLucii says:

Yay!! I really love the book!!

6. Joanna says:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!! i AM HAVING A PANIC ATTACK! Its gonna be soooo amazing! I will watch it like a million times! im reallyyyyyyy exited now! *breath* OMG! blady hell im HAPPY! i love whoever thought of this and whoever posted this! you just made my life loads better! I love the host so much! and now its going to be a movie! O M G! freaking out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😀 😀 😀 😀

7. TwilightGal says:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ahhhh i cant beleive it
    I love The Host
    And now its gonna be a movie!!!
    *faints*

8. x_vamire_girl_ says:

OMG!!!!!:O:O:O im on the last 80 pages and i lov it sooooo much i cannot belive its gonna be a movie too!!i was chatting with my bf today and we were talking about how good a movie itd be!!!!!lemme see rob pattinson is in love with me…. nope nthin must be a coincidence!!!!!!

9. EVEY loves EDWARD says:

i havent read the host yet but heard its a good book. i hope shes dont with midnight sun soon. i read the first chapter she has posted and im craving for more. lol. i guess im going to have to start reading the host. 🙂

10. Edward luver says:

i havent read it yet, but i might.
    wow is everything she writes going to be turned into a movie?

11. Golden_Eyed_Girl says:

WOW I KIND OF SAW THAT ONE COMING BUT IT STILL CAUGHT ME BY SURPRISE. I DIDNT REALLY CARE FOR THE BOOK I ONLY GOT THROUGH HALF THEN I COULNDT TAKE IT ANYMORE BUT I THINK I WILL SEE THE MOVIE BUT NOTHING CAN COPETE WITH TWILIGHT EVEN IF IT IS THE SAME AUTHOR

12. EmmettRocks says:

um…okay
    sorry to be such a downer on everything but i really dont think it’ll work.
    i mean i LOVE the host – its an amazing book, and im sure the trilogy will be great – but a film?
    how on earth would they do it? most of it takes place inside the mind.
    i just really hope they dont kill it.
    and i agree with edward luver, stephenie meyer is amazing – no question about it, but not everything she write can be a movie.

• Emily says:

Totally agree with you, EmmettRocks.
      It might not work. I really hope they dont butcher it. It would be an Amazing movie then…..

13. Arianna says:

I’m not sure, yes she is a great writer but is she going to make a movie of every book she writes… I’ve star The Host like 3 times and for some reason I always let it and go read something else… I pretty sure I’m going to see the movie when it comes out, but I don’t think am going to be as addicted as Twilight. Personal I think she should stay just whit Twilight for movies… Sorry if I upset anyone

• Emily says:

Arianna, you just have to keep pushing through the book, because in the begining, you guys have to admit, is boring. But the middle and the end is so awesome if you think about how awesome it is, you would explode.

• TwiFan says:

Hello Stephenie Meyer fans, Twilight Fans and Host fans!! I fit under every category!!! I have to tell you Arianna, I am obsessed with Twilight and read the saga 7 times….after reading it for the third time and picking up other books and always going back to twilight somehow, I decided to try The Host….like you i started reading it 3 times…read the first 2 chapters over and over and put it down, couldn’t get into it!! then one day I decided to just skip them and continue reading at chapter 3 of the book!! page after page it got better and then I was hooked!! I have read the host 3 times and LOVE LOVE LOVE it…mind you I was not a science fiction kind of girl, really I still think i am not….but if you love stephenie’s way of writing about Edward, Bella and Jacob’s relationship and how intense she is through her writing…well, you’ll love the Host!! read it!!!

anyway, in regards to the film…I am SOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!! just because I love the book so much and would love to see it on screen….I hope that they do a better job than what they did with the twilight movie! personally I think the book is much better than the movie…although, New Moon appears to be much better!!

I hope it’s not a disappointment! regardless, it will be interesting to see who they cast and how they will they interpret such an amazing and complex story! I love going on youtube and looking at fan made videos and cast picks….it’s so much fun!

thanks for reading….

14. AliceC says:

NOOO they are probably going to ruin it….it wont be half as good as the book, like with twilight, why do they have to make it a movie!?!?

15. EVEY loves EDWARD says:

WELL LIKE THEY SAY THAT THE BOOKS ALWAYS GIVE MORE DETAIL THEN THE MOVIES, AND ITS TRUE.

16. HOLY S***! *FAINTS* I LOVE THE HOST I HAVE BEEN WATING 4EVER!!!!!!

17. jemcullen says:

OMG i loved the host and wnated it to b a movie but didnt think they ever would! im glad they will im so happy

18. Krissssstin. says:

That would be awesome! The Host is a really good book! 🙂

19. krista says:

Well, guess I need to borrow my sisters copy and finally read it! 8)

20. Emily says:

THE HOST IS THE BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(other than Twilight) AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    U READ IT 24 TIMES ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But I have a question. Is Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart ENGADGED???????

21. Javalava2121 says:

I’m Excited, can’t wait….the book was good it should be a great movie. OME!!!! can’t wait let me know the relese date

22. Nessa says:

AHHH THIS IS GREAT I LOVE “THE HOST” IT IS SUCH A GREAT BOOK!!

23. chez says:

amazing book!!! i love the story between jared, melanie , ian and wanda…. all the characters !!!

24. Team Alice says:

I have never read the book but I bet it will be an okay movie.

25. haha. i just stared reading it this week(: after reading all these comments i know im going to love it!(:

26. sarah says:

OMG I CANT WAIT I LOVED THE BOOK AND AT THE END I WANTED TO CRY FOR 2 REASONS BUT I WONT SAY FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVENT READ IT YET. I THINK IT WILL BE AMAZING!! I BORROWED IT FROM MY AUNTS BRO-IN-LAW AND READI T 2 TIMES IN LIKE 1 WEEK! I HATE KYLE HE MAKED HINGS SO HARD!!!!! I CANT WAIT TO SEE WHAT THE LITTLE PARASITES LOOK LIKE, SRRY WANDA LOL

27. Jenna says:

YAY!!! y don’t they jus use the peeps from Twilight?!? lolz

Can’t wait!!!!

28. Cullen4life says:

I think it will be a great movie.

29. Ms.Cullen says:

It will definitely be an awesome movie.

30. Garrett says:

i think dat cool i loved da host dat book was gud

31. LaniTheTwilightFreak says:

I love The Host, but I’m not so sure it would be as good as a movie. I suppose I’d watch it anyway if they make it though.
    ~Elaine (Lani)

wow. i know this is big news for alotta you guys. but i havent read the books, and love to. if anyone can explain what the book is about without spoiling it for me, that would be great! PLEASE REPLY! thanks!

33. Cassie says:

That’s so exciting!!! I love The Host just as much as Twilight. I can’t wait to see that world come to life. Wow.

34. Hannah says:

OMG I’M SO EXCITED!!! YAAAAAAAAAY!!!

35. AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!OME!!!! im soooo xitd! cannot wait i loved the host the first time i read it and i still get the same emotions as that time wen i read it now! cant wait to c who they cast! especially IAN!!!!!!

36. Team Alice says:

I just love Twilight and nothing else will beat it:P

37. Team Alice says:

😛

38. Team Switzerland says:

I can’t wait. I loved The Host when I first read it and I still love it. I can’t wait to find out who they are going to cast.

The Host & Twilight Series Rox

39. Anne^^. says:

AAAAAHHH! i’m sooo dying! WHAT,WHEN,WHERE?! lolz
    i hope it takes a long,looong time to come out if they make a movie,
    because i wanna read the book before the movie comes out! 🙂
    on august 23th i just finished reading breaking dawn
    and i still don’t get the host book! :3
    plus, i also wanna read the twilight saga: the official guide
    anyways, IF THEY’RE MAKIN’ A MOVIE I REALLY HOPE THEY WAIT! lolz

40. MyGoldenEyes says:

OME!! OME!! OME!! yyaaaaaayyyyy!!!
    ìm so exited!! i love “the host” its an incredible
    book and its great it gonna be a movie!!!
    i cant wait tyo have news of the cast!!

41. Molly Cullen says:

OMG YESSS!!!!
    haha it’d be cool if they used all the peeps from twilight to be in the host lol omg cant wait

42. Molly Cullen says:

i think jared should be taylor lautner!

43. olisa_monique says:

the BOOK was GREAT, so the MOVIE WILL be AWSOME

44. NiKKi says:

So very excited. The Host was a great book and I cant wait to see the movie.

45. Rosalie says:

Whoaaa!!! im so excitedddd!!!! I love what stephanie meyer has done

46. AliceRocks says:

Holy crap! I am sooooooooo excited about this movie becoming a movie! I want to see who they choose for Wanda!

47. Melanie says:

OMG. This will be awesome. I had to read The Host as soon as I was finished with the Twilight Saga. The book wasnt translated to Swedish yet so I read it in English like I did with the Twilight books. I LOVE the book and I truly think it’s going to be awesome.

Now the Swedish version of The Host is available in stores. Its called ‘Through your eyes’. (Swedish though). Its a pretty good name for the book. The Twilight books also got other names.
    Twilight – If I could dream
    New Moon – When I hear your voice
    Eclipse – The sound of your heart
    Breaking Dawn – As long as we both breaths

Theyre pretty good too =)

I was so happy too see that the ‘main character’ was named Melanie. I have never seen my name in any books xD

48. Ali ;-} says:

I like The Host more then I liked Twilight, but I don’t know if they can do the Movie like the book is. I just don’t see how they could do it, If they did do it it would be a vary odd movie. I just hope that it’s not like Twilight the movie was. (Because come on Twilight the movie was just not that good.) And I didn’t know that it was going to be a trilogy! So that’s cool. When is book two coming out?

49. katt_x3 says:

i totally like The Host; was just waiting for there to be news like this. i actually like it more than twilight in a sense. but im still a twi-hard also. cant wait to hear more about it!! =)

50. bianca says:

Yay,im so excitedddd.
    I love the host!, Its my all time favorite book,
    i cant wait till the movie to come out, i hoping they would make a movie for it<3
    the movie must be great, if its anything like the book<3

51. LEXI says:

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

SO EXCITED!!!
    GREAT BOOK!

52. CiNDiELeE says:

The book is AWESOME! Here are my picks: MELANIE/WANDA: Sophia Bush, Megan Fox, Leelee Sokieski, Erika Christensen, Danielle Panabaker, Emma Stone. (the after-WANDA/PET: Ellen Page, Dakota Fanning, Sofia Vassilieva). JARED: Sean Faris, Channing Tatum, Matt Long, Jesse Metcalfe, Tom Welling, Billy Aaron Brown. IAN: Cam Gigandet, Lucas Black, Thomas Dekker, Mike Vogel, Chris Evans, Ben Easter. KYLE: Taylor Kitsch, Robert Hoffman, Alessandro Nivola, Jonathan Bennett, Penn Badgley, Ethan Peck. JAMIE: Max Thieriot, Evan Elingson, Carter Jenkins, Jake Pearson, Cody Linley, Josh Hutcherson. UNCLE JEB: Anthony Hopkins, Dennis Hopper, Tim Allen. Can’t wait til the movie comes out!